Monday, June 4, 2018
We're bombing up toward Portland and are making decent time. If the wind holds out, we'll likely make it by tomorrow morning.
Sunday, June 3, 2018
Monday, May 28, 2018
We had an active cell move over us last night that gave us some trouble taking the A3 down. We really had to wrestle it in and became very wet in the process. From there, we sailed some deep angles with just the solent and main, then moved to the A2 as it lightened up.
Eventually, we ended up in a hole, which is always frustrating in an offshore race, particularly a race like this where we have access to the progress of other boats. Watching some of them sail onward while we waited for the wind to come up was a lesson in patience. When the wind did come back, we tried the J1 and had some good results in keeping the boat moving in light air.
Then we tried to go to the A1.5, but the halyard snap shackle let go when it reached the top of the mast. This sail is in a sock, so it wasn't too bad to recover out of the water, but still a huge effort, as quite an lot of water came aboard with it. Next was recovering the halyard, so Chris winched me up to the top of the mast, for which I paid with some large bruises in the bumpy sea state.
Then it was back to the solent as the breeze moved back on the nose, and finally, just now, back to the A1.5 as the wind swung east again.
No doubt, there will be more tonight.
Sunday, May 27, 2018
We seem to be chasing Toothface at the moment; as of about noon, they were about eight miles ahead, so we're doing our best to reel in Mike and Tristan.
Angola Cables and Amhas are in very good position and are sailing fast. Looks like they'll be the first of the westerly boats to get into the current.
We've had a rather aggravating electronics issue on board. There's a problem with the NMEA2000 network. I checked every connection on the network but haven't resolved the issue yet. My leading theory is one of the network terminators is bad—probably the one at the mast, since that's the one most exposed to the elements.
Saturday, May 26, 2018
Friday, May 25, 2018
Saturday, February 17, 2018
In all, this was a pretty cool adventure but logistically challenging. I'm glad I did it, despite the poor showing against Dragon, and learned a lot about making the boat go fast from Chris. His guidance on sail trim has been invaluable.
Saturday, February 10, 2018
At first it looked like we were going to stay high of the center, then we had a massive wind shift and went below instead. As the wind began to die, we were happy to fire up the engine and put some distance between us. We could see the lightening off our stern for the next 5 hours in a spectacular show.
We brought out the sails again a couple hours ago and are ghosting along at around 6 knots in light air.