Monday, December 29, 2014

Year End Sailing Wrap Up

2014 was a little on the quiet side but after the transatlantic last year, just about anything would feel that way. Reliving the experience via talks at various yacht clubs around New England has been a lot of fun and a great way to meet other sailors interested in shorthanded cruising and racing. I’m presenting to the Blue Water Sailing Club on January 10th in Charlestown, MA – if you’re interested in attending, please let me know.

My buddy Rich Wilson continues his training and preparation for Vendee Globe 2016, a single handed, non-stop, around the world race and it’s been a blast to assist where I can with his campaign. During the race, he will conduct a K-12 education program through his non-profit. For those interested, I encourage you to visit sitesAlive.com for more information about this amazing teaching tool for educators all over the world.

This summer, my biggest race was the double handed Bermuda Race which I entered on my boat Jeroboam with my buddy Russ Hancock. Light winds tested our patients and my skill set but as Russ races often around Marblehead (or Marble-dead to which it’s often referred), he excels in these conditions and we managed to pull out a class and division win.

Jeroboam also posted solid results at the One Regatta, Beringer Bowl and the Maine Rocks Race this summer with the final race on New Year's Day in Boston Harbor. 

The big race this coming June is Bermuda 1-2 which is single handed to Bermuda then double handed back to Newport. I’ve entered twice before on Jeroboam in 2009 and 2011 but this year my buddy Mike Piper suggested I race his very sporty J/111 down, with him joining for the double handed return. This is a great opportunity for me to test my skills on a proper race boat and we have already begun preparation and training in earnest.

Wishing you all the best in the new year!

-Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment