Friday, October 17, 2014

Bermuda 1-2 Qualifier

Mike Piper is allowing me to race his J/111 Eagles Dare in the next Bermuda 1-2 and he will join me on the return double handed leg. In order to qualify, I need to make a solo, offshore passage of not less than 100 nautical miles and not shorter in duration than 24 hours. I depart tomorrow morning early. Forecast is showing 15-20 knot breeze with gusts to 30, which is plenty but the real challenge will be the sea state as I'm expecting a large swell from hurricane Gonzalo to mix and confuse with the wave action from the SW, turning W and NW wind. It's going to be ugly but as I'm not racing, I won't be pushing the boat and will sail conervatively with goal to be not to break anything and safely complete the requirement.

I'll post some position reports here via Spot and will try to take some video footage along the way to post upon my return.

Here's hoping all are safe on Bermuda tonight. They're in for a far rougher ride than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment