Monday, May 5, 2014

The Perfect Bottom

Jeroboam was out of the water this past weekend for a coat of paint at Beverly Port Marina. Before OSTAR in July of 2012, I hauled Jeroboam out for two weeks, removed all the ablative paint, started at the gelcoat, added three layers of barrier coat and finished with three coats of nice, hard vinyl Interlux VC Offshore paint.


Last week I was almost down to the last layer of paint so I added one this weekend and sanded the finish to 200 grit. I dive on the boat every week or two during racing season so there will be plenty of opportunity to wet sand underwater with increasingly finer grit prior to the Bermuda Race which starts June 20. I'll gradually build up to 800 grit then do a final burnish with bronze wool an evening or two prior to the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment