Thursday, June 6, 2013

Back to the uphill grind

The spinnaker work came to a halt a little earlier than expected - I doused around 3 am and hardened up slightly for some double headsail close reaching and by dawn I'd changed to a different staysail that's a little better suited for the conditions. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with the next approaching low which is forecasted to cross the Grand Banks Saturday and be over my head by that evening. It's moving pretty quickly and I don't see a huge advantage to being well north of it so I'm probably not going to take a flyer that way. I definitely don't want to be south of the center so I'll play it safe and make sure that even if the center of it deviates from the forecasted track by 15 degrees, I'll still be north of it.

The noon position report showed a ~10 nm gain on Tamarind since noon yesterday so the rating investment to carry a spinnaker paid some dividends but remains to be seen if I'll be able to say it was worth it by the end of the race. I've only carried a chute about 19 hours of the 244 hours I've been racing so that's only 7.7% of the time.

Looks like I'll have a wind shift in the wee hours tonight to the NW so I'll tack at some point which means I'll probably be passing south of the Flemish Cap. Unfortunate. I was hoping to sail right over it so I could yell "Danny no! Not the Flemish Cap! That's halfway to Ireland, ain't it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment