Thursday, May 2, 2013

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Another great day on the water as Jeroboam is flying along on a broad reach often hitting 10+ knots surfing down the face of a wave.  The seas are building a fair bit as the wind continues to climb, but it will likely be short lived as the front is forecasted to on the way past me by dawn. In the meantime it could get a little rough tonight. No matter; I'm about 500 miles to the English Channel and closing fast.

Speaking of the channel, I'm starting to see a lot more traffic coming and going from that direction. After only spotting about one ship a day on average so far on this leg, I saw five today and there's still 6 hours left in it. For anyone interested in seeing just how congested the boat traffic is in the channel, go to marinetraffic.com and zoom in on that area. Day or night, you'll see a veritable conga line of non-stop ships moving in and out. And that's just the boats fitted with AIS. There's plenty more that don't show up at that website that are out there. It's still a little early in the season for the pleasure boaters and day sailors so it won't be as bad as it will be for the race start at the end of May, but still plenty of traffic to dodge and weave around.

I got some work done on the running rigging that was bothering me and did some more clean up from Leg 1 that went neglected in Horta. The engine behaved again today. We're not out of the woods yet but the signs are right.

The sparrow flew the coop shortly before sundown yesterday so I guess it found a better deal, perhaps on one of the passing ships I encountered last night. So I sail on. Alone. As usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment