Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Birds of a Feather

The excitement on board today consisted of a small sparrow taking up residence. Actually I don't know if it's a sparrow, in fact I have no idea what kind of bird it is, but its small and not a water bird so who knows how it got all the way out here. I tied to give it some crumbs and water but it clearly wanted me to leave it alone as it just kept flying off. I know I don't have any worms on board so I'm at a loss as to what to offer it. It must be starving or dying of thirst or both so I suppose I need to try something.

Down below it hasn't decided which cabin it likes best as it keeps flying around, checking the place out, even spending some time in the head by the mirror which it apparently found entertaining. Every now and then it will go outside and fly around the boat a little, probably looking for a better deal.

The center of the high crossed my path so the wind has begun to shift to the south and I've turned east. The new weather routing is taking me fairly far east before turning northeast to get a better angle on forecasted NW breeze starting Friday night but that's still a little too far ahead to bank on.

The engine issue showed improvement this morning when I did my daily charging cycle. I'll keep a close eye on it but it appears Keane's first guess at the problem was spot on, as usual. Thanks buddy.

I've been busy chasing down a gremlin in the SeaTalk network which is how the boat instruments communicate with one another. There's a loose and/or corroded connection someplace that I still haven't found. I thought for sure I'd uncovered the culprit last night but after redoing that connection the problem reoccurred this morning. What I've found is network wiring that's holding together with spit and gum so there's lots of room for improvement. I don't have all the parts I'd like on board to do it right so may put off a key portion of the rewiring until Plymouth and just deal with no autopilot wind vane mode for the balance of the trip, or at least any consistent wind vane mode. It's not the end of the world as the pilot functions fine in compass mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment