Monday, July 18, 2011

Down East Challenge

Starting to gear up for the next race: Down East Challenge. This is a small, destination race starting in Marblehead, MA and finishing at the Rockland, Maine break wall, about 130 nautical miles. If we get the prevailing breeze out of the SW, it's a down wind sled run.

The last time I did this race in 2008, Jeroboam had an amazing run across the Gulf of Maine. There was a six hour period when boat speeds averaged around 8.3 knots, an intense clip as it was all hand steering and I was still getting used to flying an asym.

Much of my cruising gear and boat luxuries are back on board and I probably won't have time to jettison it prior to the race so I'll be sailing a little heavier than I was last month. I will take the time to give the bottom a thorough scrub as there will no doubt be some growth down there since the last scrub on Bermuda over a month ago.

There's some terrific competition entered so far in the single handed division, all of whom are Bermuda 1-2 alumni and most of whom were entered in this year's running of that race, including two compatriots from Class 4, Bluebird and Panacea. This is going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment