Saw what I hoped would be my last sunset on this leg. I may finish sometime tonight but one forecast showed lighter air today so we'll see what happens. I'm amazed that this entire race has been completely downwind. This is my sixth passage to Bermuda and I think the longest downwind stretch I've had before lasted half a day. This one's going on day 4 and shows all the signs of continuing.
One of the advantages I always considered this boat to have is that it's a good performer in a variety of conditions, so it didn't really matter what the course conditions were or if they changed a lot (typically the case for the longer races), the boat tended to perform well and be competitive. This race is an interesting case in that we have not experienced a variety of conditions, rather only one: dead downwind. Who'd have guessed? The glaring omission of a symmetrical kite in my sail inventory is hurting in a big way right now. I can't beat myself up too badly however as never in a million years would I have anticipated these conditions.
I've got a variety of boat issues I'm dealing with today that are not race or performance related, rather systems issues. I need to hop back to Boston between legs so the more I can get done now, the less likely they will be an issue on the return leg as Keane and I only have about 48 hours on Bermuda prior to leg 2 for prep.