Friday, June 3, 2011

Game Time

With wind at our back for the better part of 2 or possibly 3 days, the favored boats are the sleds like the Class 40, Quest 30s, Figaro II and Open 6.5s. It's going to be very tough to keep up with those guys. I also imagine there will be some moments when I wish I had a symmetrical spinnaker on board but I'm not willing to sacrifice my +9 adjustment for the asymmetrical so there's no point in crying over spilt milk.
 
The gulf stream models have undergone some fairly substantial changes, even in the last 24 hours, so I'm hesitant to make any real gambles for the sake of a couple extra tenths of favorable current.
 
In summary, I doubt we'll see any boats taking major flyers. It's a rhumb line race.
 
Jeroboam is as ready as she's ever been and as fast as she's ever been. I wish I could say down wind conditions were the boat's most favorable but when it's on the beam, I typically see slightly better performance. The key is  not to destroy my asym too early in the race as I'll need it often. Wind speeds have certainly calmed down a bit since yesterday but we'll see what's what when we get out of Narragansett Bay. I'll have both chute and chicken chute at the ready.
 
Class one starts at 11 AM eastern time, then class 2 at 11:10, 3 at 11:20, 4 at 11:30 and the Open 6.5s at 11:40.

No comments:

Post a Comment