Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Great American IV Sailing

Just came across this brief video (and article) by my friend Peter Neilson at Sail Magazine from last summer when we went out for the afternoon on Rich Wilson's Open 60, Great American IV.

Bermuda 1-2 Fall Skippers Meeting

I've been asked to give a brief version of my OSTAR presentation at the fall Bermuda 1-2 meeting at Newport Yacht Club on Saturday, November 1 at 3:30pm. Stop by if you're in the neighborhood. The audience is all single and double handed sailors so the conversation will likely trend toward the technical aspects of the race.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Qualifier Accepted

I heard from the Bermuda 1-2 race committee that my qualifier had been accepted so I'm all clear for entry on Eagles Dare. I would expect the NOR to be released soon, possibly this week.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Qualifier: Done

The qualifier went well, though it was rough out there. A couple minor malfunctions on board, including loosing my grip going down the companionway and falling backward on my head but none the worse for wear. I was planning to just sail down to the E-W shipping lanes south of Block Island and come back but Eagles Dare is such a fast boat that I had to put some more miles down in order to meet the minimum 24 hour duration requirement. Here's the route I took:


I only flew the heavy weather jib and had either one or two reefs in the main so wasn't pushing the boat at all but it was still flying along. I actually tried to slow the boat down a little at one point by dropping the jib and sailing under a double reefed main only but the boat was still doing 7+ knots! Here's my log book:


It was great to get the qualifier done before the end of this season so I can focus on boat prep this winter and training in the spring as soon as we can get it back in the water.

Here's a photo of Eagles Dare on the starting line of the Newport-Bermuda race this past summer with Mike and Rob getting ready for the double handed division start.


Sunday, October 19, 2014

Check in

For some reason my Spot check in didn't go through. I made it down to the E-W shipping lanes south of Block Island and turned north for Newport but this boat is so fast that I got back in no time. Minimum duration is 24 hours so I turned south and am heading back out to sea for a couple more hours.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Off Block Island

Still have a cell connection from the tower on Block so here's a quick update. Sea state is manageable, the swell has a very long period so it's easy sailing over it and the breeze is below forecast in the 10-15 range. Sun is out and it's pretty warm out here. Still puttering along with one reef in the main and the heavy weather jib but making 7+ knots due south.

Outside the Bay

Wave action outside the Bay isn't too bad. 14 knots of breeze and the boat is doing 6.5 knots with a reefed main and the heavy weather jib. Forecast was for a SW breeze but it more out of the S right now to I'm beating out of the bay.